Niigata City General Hospital was founded in October 1973 on the east side of the Shinano River, and moved to present location in November 2007.
Our hospital’s philosophy is that “Holistic medicine with the patient”. This philosophy is based on the teaching of Sir William Osler (1849 - 1919) that “Medicine should begin with the patient, continue with the patient, and end with the patient”. A bust of Sir William Osler is located in front of the Outpatient Entrance.
The Tree of Hippocrates is the plane tree under which Hippocrates, the father of medicine, taught his disciples the art of medicine at Kos Island. A derivative of the tree of Hippocrates was presented from Dr. Togashi to our hospital in 1994, and transplanted to the new hospital garden in 2007.
We follow Osler and Hippocrates’s teachings, and provide emergency and high quality specialized medical service for citizens and visitors in our community.